Sunday, June 3, 2012

Up from Walker Pass

May 31, 2012
Day 61
Today's Miles: 16.7

So we were suppose to leave Lake Isabella yesterday. However, as I was getting out of the shower I slipped and fell. I tweaked my neck pretty bad. Also, we have been having issues posting to our blog from our phone. So, we decided to stay another day to resolve our technical issues and let my neck tweak work itself out.

So after a few calls to tech support and a few neck massages later, we happily headed back to the trail today.

I made a superb hitch hiking sign and we headed out to the freeway entrance prepared for a long hitch. We had heard that the hitch from Lake Isabella back to Walker Pass was a difficult one. If we didn't get a hitch in a few hours we were going to get on a bus to Onyx and then hitch from there.

Luckily, I barley had a chance to stick out my thumb before a car pulled over for us! We threw our packs on top of the car and hopped in. Our ride went on to tell us about his evangelical faith and asked us many questions about the state of our souls. We even had a prayer circle when we arrived at Walker Pass. He gave me a magazine about missionary work, I think it was title something like the "Voice of the Martyrs". As a thru-hiker, I don't really carry magazines. I didn't want to be rude, so I accepted it and we started hiking up....the whole experience was different but we tried to be as polite as possible.




It is still so barren, but we are just days from Kennedy Meadows and we can taste it.




We had a little climb to start the day. We are both looking forward to climbing out of the dessert, so each climb is one step closer.



I enjoy the trail when it follows along the mountain side like this. You can really see where you are going and enjoy the views.














We had a pretty good day hiking, BUT the best part of the day was waiting for us at camp! While in Lake Isabella, our friend Carl (who we met in the San Jacintos) texted us and said he was getting back on the trail at Walker Pass! He will be section hiking part of the trail for the next few months and we are so excited to get to hike with him! We also found out Carl's new trail name is Lifeboat.



Me with my martyr magazine and the bonus prayer map. Lifeboat in the back.

Tonight we intended on hiking another 5 miles up from the camp where we found Carl. However, it was a pretty steep climb and I wasn't feeling up to it. We camped near a creak with Lifeboat, Jared, Clutch, Colors, Quark, & Caveman.

-Twist

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone