Thursday, April 26, 2012

Big Bear Here We Come!

April 24th, 2012
Day 24
Today's Miles: 14.7

In the morning we could smell the San Bernadino forest and it was calling my name. We had a steep climb to make it up into the trees. The trail had a lot of Poodle Dog Bush around it but we were able to avoid it for the most part and luckily it wasn't blooming. I am kind of a plant nerd, so I was excited to see it (and smell it, It smells pretty funky.)


We saw the sign for the San Bernadino Forest and we knew shady trees and pine needles were in our very near future!


After Tailgate got so sick, I was very happy to get out of the desert. He wouldn't tell me how sick he was, but I could tell he was not right at all. However, once he got into the forest today, I swear he was dancing down the trail.

We made it to a neat water source soon after entering the forest. The water was ice cold!



We enjoyed some great views today! They were much appreciated after our previous days filled with sand and sage brush.








Road Runner was planning on meeting us in the Big Bear area. We ended up meeting him at Rainbow Lane ( near the animal cages).

We will now be spending a few zero days in Big Bear. We are very lucky to have a family cabin right on Big Bear lake where we will be enjoying hours relaxing on the deck with our dogs. We are also hoping to spend some time with a few friends and other thru hikers. I know for a fact that pizza is in my future!

-Twist

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone